Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas thanks you for considering adoption. Please fill out the adoption application below to start the adoption process. Please note that we get a lot of interest in our Shiba Inu, but we do operate in a "best fit" basis rather than "first come first served." If we feel your home is suitable for one of the dogs we currently have, or we later take in a dog we feel might match your needs, we will contact you for the next step of the process.
We don't always have the chance to post every dog that comes through our rescue, as some are adopted as early as the same day as their intake, so the best strategy is to submit an application even if there isn't a dog you want currently available. This will allow us to keep your application on hand and react quickly when the right Shiba Inu comes along. Please also keep in mind that we generally do not get puppies in rescue; most of our intakes average between 3 and 5 years old. But with the average lifespan of the Shiba Inu being 15 years old, that's still plenty of time of love, bonding, and Shiba antics with your new family friend.
The Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas Adoption Process:
- Submit an application. Feel free to indicate in the application which currently available Shiba Inu you are most interested in.
- We take in all applications and select homes we believe to be suitable for a Shiba Inu.
- If we feel the applicant would be a great adoptive home, we check references and set up a home check with one of our volunteers to visit the applicant's home. A home check is a way to get to know the applicant on a more personal level, get a feel for their home and living conditions, and address any concerns between both parties. Generally, these visits don't take longer than an hour. Please keep in mind that both apartment renters and home owners are welcome!
- After approval of the home, a meeting is set up with the Shiba Inu that fits the adopters' needs best. This step is especially crucial for applicants with existing pets or children.
- A week long trial adoption period follows, where the applicant signs the adoption application and pays the adoption fee, which Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas will not deposit for the duration of the trial period.
- Once the trial period is over, the applicant has the choice of keeping their new Shiba buddy and making the adoption final, or deciding the situation will not work out. In the event that the adoption isn't going to work, the applicant can return the dog to Shiba Inu Rescue of Texas at no penalty, and the adoption fee will be returned to the applicant.